Paws & Effect is conducting its first-ever writing contest for youth, adult, and military writers. Deadline is Jan. 5, 2015. Established in 2006, the Des Moines, Iowa-based non-profit is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that raises, trains, and places service dogs with military veterans and children diagnosed with medical needs. The organization also trains therapy animals and hosts dog-agility events. Editors are seeking previously unpublished flash-fiction, non-fiction, and poetry on the theme of human-animal connections. Winners selected in each of the following categories:
- Youth (Ages 6-12)
- Open—Fiction, Non-fiction, and Poetry
- Military service member/veteran—Fiction, Non-fiction, and Poetry
- Recognition at the Feb. 13, 2015 "One Heart, Four Paws" gala event.
- A monetary award of $100.
- Publication of their work(s) in a commemorative broadsheet, chapbook, or other physical object, to be distributed at the event.
"One Heart, Four Paws" Youth ContestGuidelines for Open and Military/Veteran categories include:
c/o Middle West Press
P.O. Box 31099
Johnston, Iowa 50131-9428
- Submit via on-line tool at here at Submittable.com. There is a $15 submission fee.
- Limit one submission in each category per person.
- Poetry: up to 3 poems (5 pages maximum).
- All prose (including fiction, non-fiction, essay, and memoir): 750-word limit.
- Submissions exceeding the limits will be disqualified.
- Include a biography of 75 words or less with each submission. Past and present members of all branches, services, and nationalities may submit to the Military/Veteran category.
- Winners and contributors will be notified by Feb. 1, 2015.
- This project acquires first North American and anthology rights.
- Judges' decisions are final. Judges also reserve the rights to make additional awards in each category/subcategory, and to decline making awards within one or more categories/subcategories.